These children are running through... ?
a. insanely tall hedges
b. an English maze
c. a hop field
As those of you who read the title already know, the answer is C. The munchkins are my preschoolers.
Here are a few interesting facts about American hops:
- They grow freakin' huge.
- They are the flavor in beer.
- They are related to one of America's other favorite plants, marijuana, and contain the same active ingredient.
- 75 to 90% of them are grown in my area, depending on who you talk to.
- They are the star of almost every late summer/early fall festival in the Yakima Valley.
- Because of their prevalence in Central Washington, I can drink all I want without compromising my commitment to buy locally. I'm not an alcoholic; I'm merely supporting local industry. :-)